Friday, July 31, 2009

Human skull?

I received an awesome gift today from a friend via FedEx. A human skull. What I was wondering is: Can any knowledgeable folk out there tell me how to tell whether it is in fact, REAL? (If it's not, it's an incredibly realistic replica). Said skull is obviously imperfect; it has no teeth, no lower jaw, an is asymmetrical. I will add details if needed. Thank you.

Human skull?
If the scull cap is cut off at the top (you can seperate the cap from the bottom half) Look where the skill cap was cut. Right above the eyes there is a sine which is typically cut through to remove the skullcap. It will look like little line thingies in there if it is real. you could also check the palate where the mouth is, the roof of the mouth. The problem however would be that many plastic molds are made from real human skulls to begin with, so many impressions are the same in both.
Reply:I learned that bone is not solid. If you look at a piece of bone under a microscope, you would see that it would be pocketed with holes like a sponge. I see a picture of one under a microscope. It looks more like its filled with white stiff fibers with lot of space between them. I think that would be enough to tell if its a replica or not, you have to get a small bit of it though..



Visual Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment